Sunday, December 22, 2013

C Koop "Book" Challenge story

As part of the C Koop "Book" Challenge (see my most previous post about my process for creating my challenge piece), we were to write a story that would accompany our piece.

My book focal was created in memory of my dog, Reggie, and I tied various components of my accompanying necklace into that theme.  I am really happy with how it turned out and when I'm not wearing it, it is displayed on a bust next to my computer.  So, I'm gazing at it now ...

Here is the story that I wrote to accompany my "Reggie" book.

The Little Brown Dog

Reggie, the Border Terrier, was a little brown dog who was part of my life for far too short of a time.

He was my third dog and even though I loved my other two dogs, Reggie was my first dog in many ways.  He was, as those who are in the dog world know, my heart dog.   He and I learned so many things together.

Reggie earned his American Kennel Club Championship before he was 2 years old and then we went to Canada and earned a Canadian Championship too.

Wondering what to do next, we started to train for other events.  Agility was not his first love.  But Reggie was still a great team-mate with patience for the most part, although he did like to do things his way.  He earned Novice, Open, and Excellent titles in agility.  And then we started all over again in the Preferred classes.  Any mistakes in our runs were typically my fault, but he didn’t mind as long as there were treats and a “good boy!” after he finished his run.

We also participated in Rally Obedience events.  That was a little harder for us because I think training for obedience is boring, but Rally is more fun and it reminds me of agility with the courses.  Together, Reggie and I earned a Rally Advanced title with the help of my friends.

Earthdog was Reggie’s passion.  He absolutely loved going to earthdog tests and participating at each level.  He easily earned his Junior, Senior and Master titles and we continued to participate because he loved it so much.

When Halo (and I) had our first litter of puppies, Reggie showed me his gentle side as he was the best Uncle to the babies that you could ask for.  When I brought the puppies out to the living room for the first time, Reggie pulled one of his toys out of the toy box and dropped it on the floor next to the puppies inviting them to play even though the pups at the time just learning how to walk.  When the pups got old enough to play, he would roll over on the ground and let them crawl all over him or he would play tug and drag them all over the living room.

Along the way, he also earned a Certificate of Gameness title and passed the Canine Good Citizen test.  I was so proud of him on the day I received his Border Terrier Club “Versatility Excellent” certificate in the mail.  But the best times of all were sitting on the sofa with my companion by my side.

I lost my best friend to cancer in December 2011.  Even though I still shed tears over his loss, I know his spirit is with me and we will see each other again one day.

Am/Can CH Meadowlake No Regrets RA AX OAJ AXP AJP ME CG CGC VX
♥ Reggie ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment